Subscribe to me on YouTube

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Telephones pre millenium

What did we do before the 'techey age' took over our lives?
Now-days, changing our telephone number is done on a yearly basis & by some miracle, we are able to contact the people in our phonebook before we change it, providing them with the new number..

Any pre 90's babies will remember you couldn't do that with your landline...
You'd have to actually call them with the new number, on the new number &  if they didn't answer, you left a 'message on the answer machine', the term, voicemail had yet to be dubbed..
(Pre 90's babies, we are no officially old!!)
These messages, usually sounded completely fake, as you reeled off your number from a piece of paper & if you got it wrong, you had no choice but to carry on or call-back apologise & try again!!
If they didn't have voicemail, well... you had to wait & try agian..!! imagine that!

If they had caller id, they might notice a missed call... to check it, they either had to know it, go through their phonebook or actually call it in the suspense to who it might be!! Now that was always an awkward conversation... We all know th phonecall protocal,, ''don't give up your name before the other person!''
call-e: Hello..
caller: Hello.. Whos this?
call-e: err..you called me?! Who's this?
caller: No, you called me?
call-e: No I didn't? Did I? When? Not just now? Did I? Pretty sure you called me!
caller: No, no, no... I called you now.. You called me earlier.. your number was on my caller ID?
call-e: You sure it was me, not someone else?
caller: Well.. I don't know.. Who else is there?
call-e: err...No-one... Its just me here...
caller: So why ask if it could have been someone else calling from your phonenumber?
call-e: I dunno... Maybe it was a burgler?
caller: Really!!? Have you been broken into?
call-e: No... I've been in all day...
caller: So, a burgler broke in, without a trace, sneeked around you & made 1 phonecall from your phone?!
call-e: How do you know they only made 1 phonecall?
caller: Really, thats the part that seems likely to you?!
call-e: Why not? Maybe they dialled the wrong number?
caller: So, they broke in without a trace, took nothing, got the number wrong, made a number of phonecalls..
call-e: I didn't say they made a number of phone call.. they probably just dialled the wrong digits first time. Who dials a number wrong twice?.. when you didn't answer, they tried again & dialled the right number?
caller: So, their in your house, making calls? Why would they call somone again?
call-e: For a getaway?
caller: Let me get this straight, they are calling for a Getaway, from an untraceable break-in, when they haven't stolen anything? But they dialled the number wrong.. Why bother breaking in, in the first place?
call-e: If I knew that, I'd be the burgler! What a stupid question!
caller: Oh, I get it, this is just a wind-up.. Isn't it...
call-e: How? You called me... How do I know your not winding me up...?
caller: Why would anyone call to wind you up, by saying, you called me?
call-e: Well... that's exactly what someone trying to wind me up would say!!
caller: Arguably, it's also what someone not winding you up would say! & anyway, you called me... Listen, have you called anyone today?
call-e: Yes
caller: right, we're getting somewhere.... Who did you call...
call-e: Everyone...
caller: Everyone!! really, you know everyone... Did you call the pope?!
call-e: No, why would I call the pope?
caller: Well, you said you called everyone!!
call-e: But why the pope? Why  not Michael Jackson?
caller: Well if you called everyone, you would have called him too...
call-e: But I didn't call him either!
caller: So you can't have called everyone then!!
call-e: Well, no... I called everyone in my phonebook..
caller: So whos in your phonebook
call-e: I'm not gunna tell you that...
caller: Why, what do you think I'm gunna do with a bunch of names?! Steal them!! Listen, why don't you tell me who you are, so we can't get this over with...
call-e:
caller: So why don't you just answer the phone with your name?
call-e: Because then they know my name & they win
caller: Whats wrong with knowing your name... just tell me your name
call-e: You called me, give me your name first....
caller: Tell you what.. Why don't we say our names after 3.... ready...
call-e: yeah
caller: right.. 1...
call-e: wait wait wait... do we say it on three... or just after
caller: we say it just after 3..
call-e: so on the 4th count?
caller: lets just say it on 3.. yeah... ready..
call-e: ready
caller: 1...2...3...
together::: +++++++++++++
(( then at that time, the two conflicting voices would coagulate in the middle of nowhere, both ends hearing only their own voice!!!))

No comments:

Post a Comment